Why get a Flu Shot?
This season protect yourself and those around you by getting your annual Flu Shot. All Texas MedClinic locations have the flu vaccine available, including the High Dose vaccine for patients 65 and older. Getting your flu shot can reduce your risk of getting the flu and can protect those around you who are more at risk for contracting the flu. In addition, if you do get sick from the flu, the vaccine may make your illness less severe. Remember, even healthy people can get the flu!
Did you know*:
- That a recent study indicated that the flu vaccine reduced children’s risk of flu-related pediatric intensive care unit (PICU) admission by 74% during flu seasons from 2010-2012.
- Another study showed that getting the flu vaccine was associated with a 71% reduction in flu-related hospitalizations among adults of all ages during the 2011-2012 flu season.
- Flu vaccination also has been shown to be associated with reduced hospitalizations among people with diabetes (79%) and chronic lung disease (52%).
- Vaccination helps protect women during pregnancy and their babies for up to 6 months after they are born.
- A study that looked at flu vaccine effectiveness over the course of three flu seasons estimated that flu vaccination lowered the risk of hospitalizations by 61% in people 50 years of age and older.
All Texas MedClinics are stocked with the following Flu Vaccines:
- FluZone $25.00 - Recommend for patients 6 months of age and older.
- FluZone HD $54.00 –This vaccine provides additional protection against the flu and is recommended for patients that are 65 and older.
*These stats were taken from the CDC website: http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/keyfacts.htm#benefits
According to a recent report from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) drug abuse, it is estimated that 22,904 ER visits were related to the use of “bath salts” and 28, 531 visits were related to the use of synthetic cannabinoids (K2, Spice)*. These two groups of designer drugs are considered Synthetic Stimulants and they have increase in popularity in recent years.
K2 and “Bath Salts” are synthetic compounds that mimic the effects of controlled substances. The compounds used to make these synthetic drugs are not tested for in a routine drug screen. Because the designer drugs are made with more than one compound, they can cause adverse reactions in those who use them.
Effects of using K2:
Effects of using “Bath Salts”:
Texas MedClinic offers drug testing for Synthetic Stimulants. If you are interested in drug testing for K2 or “Bath Salts”, contact our Business Development & Marketing Department at 210.349.5577 or download our Synthetic Stimulant handout.
Due to DOT regulations, all DOT physicals must be performed by a physician who is a Certified Medical Examiner. Texas MedClinic has over 45 physicians who are listed on the National Registry of the Certified Medical Examiners for DOT physicals. These physicians have gone through training and have passed the certification exam. All DOT physicals at Texas MedClinic are now performed only by a physician who is a Certified Medical Examiner.
Click here for additional information regarding availability of this service and benefits of using Texas MedClinic for DOT Physicals.